I have lived in Vienna for more than 3 years and yet never took time to visit Budapest, a city only 2.5 hours by train away. However, I finally did so this past Saturday and it is one beautiful city! I preferred the Buda side of the city, mainly because it is in the hills and there is a lot of nature and the stunning views of the city.
Here are some photos I took around the city:
1. Hungarian Parliament Building on the Danube River. Apparently its location was inspired by the parliament buildings in London.
2. View from the Presidential Palace
3. View of lower level from upper level of Presidential castle grounds.
4. Funicular from foot of the hill to the Presidential Palace. No, I did not use it either way – such contraptions scare me :(. I took the bus instead.
5. Guards swapping places at the Presidential Palace. It is quite an affair.
6. Heroes’ Square
7. Square in front of St Stephen’s Cathedral.
All in all, I had a great day in Budapest. I would go there again only if I can do a walking tour. My companion is quite advanced in age and can not manage to walk long distances, but it was still very nice to discover the city through her eyes.