My favorite hobby is walking/hiking – be it within the city or in the hills somewhere. I find walking very refreshing and it helps clear my mind. Therefore, I went with some friends for a 15 km city walk, only that it was not within the city on paved sidewalks as I thought, but mainly out in the fields. I still had a great time, though. It was foggy throughout the day so we could not admire any views, which I was told were out there somewhere.
- Some parts of the route had plenty of snow/ice as on this patch and we had to take care not to fall.
2. We passed by an outdoor gym and had a bit of fun on the machines. We found one guy who was
showing off exercising and seemed very fit. He is the one doing the press ups from the table. What a show off!
3. As usual, we had to pass a church and this time it was a Catholic one in the tenth district.
4. We lamented about some brussel sprouts that had not been harvested. I love brussel sprouts and would have enjoyed them on the gardener’s behalf 🙂
5. We passed by an Asian restaurant that had a pagoda, which I learnt should only have odd numbers of ‘layers’.
6. Outdoor chairs which look like Bhudda’s hands, or so we thought.
7. Vineyards were looking sad and dead, but I know that come summer, they will be full of life and juicy goodness!
8. Several times my boots felt as if they had a bucketsful of mud and I had to clean them in the wet grass throughout the walk. My jeans ended up with mud as well. I did not wear proper hiking gear since I thought we would walk on paved roads in the city.
My friend back home never understands why I enjoy walking. I used to take walks around my neighbourhood in Zambia because there was nowhere to hike. This left me frustrated since some areas had no pavements and I had to walk on the road and take extra care when cars were whizzing past.
I am glad I found like minded people here in Vienna to go walking/hiking with. Ah, the simple pleasures of life!